Even though I realise it is so very difficult to make it as a new entrepreneur with a cool idea, I have to admit that sometimes these emails frustrate me. Not only are they impersonal a lot of the time they are also essentially requesting that I do something for them with nothing in return.
Although I didn’t set out (and still don’t) to expect money from this blog I do actually work really hard to ensure there is new (mostly original) content which is interesting to my readers – so why shouldn’t bloggers be compensated for their time, effort and energy?
When you should do it:
- If it is something of interest to you or to your readers- Of course I have offered free advertising on my blog before but this is usually as I am interested in the shop myself or believe that my readers would be. Usually vintage/ handmade shops are great for this.
- If it is something interesting or for a good cause then I would be more than happy to offer a blog post or something of the like. (I recently did this for the Woolmark world record attempt)
- When the company doesn’t even bother to acknowledge who you are in an email and it is clear that the email is a template and they have just added in your blog’s name.
- When it is something of little interest to you or your potential readers
- When there is absolutely nothing to you or your blog in return